Monday, December 7, 2009

Number 4--First Presbyterian/Fantasy Football

I went to the First Presbyterian Church yesterday--the really pretty one on South Temple a block east of the Cathedral of the Madeline. It was quite nice, and quite similar to a Mormon service. Sure, the format was different and there were a bunch of little differences, but there were also a bunch of similarities. Some things about it I liked better than a Mormon service; some I liked less.

The thing that I find interesting now is that the few bits that troubled me did so not because I felt obligated to critique the service through an LDS paradigm, but because a few things that were said actually conflicted with what I felt inside myself. I found it to be very helpful. For example, in one of the readings, the congregation said something like: "God, you have promised us that we will all have salvation."

Certainly, this is a nice sentiment, but as we were reading this, the little lawyer in my head perked up. "Whoa. Hang on a second there. Not all, right? Surely there is some other requirement. Something that is required of us in order to earn that salvation. 'Lead a good life'--something like that?"

So I am glad I went, and I think that I will keep up the exploration. When I went to my regular LDS ward after the Presbyterian service, it felt like home. It was nice to be back. I still get bugged by the stupid things people there say, but what are you gonna do, right?

In other news, I won my Fantasy Football (FF) game against Allie, but I still did not make the playoffs. Despite my assertions otherwise, Nate assures me that I don't suck at it. There's just too much luck involved. Oh, well. It was fun while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment