Saturday, December 5, 2009

Number 3--Snow / Religion Part 2

Wow, a lot of wrecks on the roads today! Slow down, people! It's slippery out there!

I want to follow up my religion comments from yesterday. I have been thinking about this for a while now--maybe months. So, while I am only writing it down now, many of these thoughts are not new. Tomorrow is Sunday, and I am debating on what to do. I was thinking about checking out another church in the morning before going to my regular ward.

In my thoughts regarding what I believe versus what I know, I have determined that I know that there is a God, while I merely believe that Jesus is my Savior and that there is a prophet of God on Earth today. I don't think that this is necessarily a bad thing. I think maybe a comment I made in yesterday's post may have sounded misleading. I think that striving for knowledge is something that is part of life and so, would certainly be part of membership in a religion.

However, as part of that striving for knowledge, I think it is important to me to be well-informed, to see what else is out there, and to make sure that I know and choose what is best for me. Hence, the idea of visiting another church tomorrow.

After determining what I personally know and believe to be true, I have been trying to think about religion as broadly as possible regarding the "What's right/ What's right for me?" question. Eliminating atheism was simple, seeing as I know that there is a God. However, more difficult and complicated questions are consequently raised. Who is God? What, if anything, does he want from me? How has/does he manifest him/herself?

For answers to these questions, I plan on doing some reading, learning more about other religions, and figuring out what jives with what I currently believe. I am hoping that this process will lead me back to where I am, only with a firmer conviction that it is right/right for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment