Saturday, January 2, 2010

Number 12--Resolutions

Ah, the new year. It's a little refreshing. Sadly, it's not a lot refreshing. I usually get so into resolutions, starting fresh, and making themes. This year, not so much. I'm just not feeling it. I'm not sure exactly why, but I have a hypothesis.

Where in other years things may have been tough or busy, this year, I actually have some problems--big decisions looming, important things to work out. It feels like to make for a successful year, it would be enough just to figure those things out.

This creates some problems for my resolutions. I just don't have the desire to resolve to do some little task that pales in comparison to the daunting tasks already at hand. [INSERT ANALOGY HERE]

Also, the resolutions that I would likely make are probably things that I am going to do anyway. Visit a new country. Something climbing-related. Something cycling-related. Do a triathlon. Blah blah blah. If I could get a job, get through another year of law school, and figure out a girlfriend situation to my satisfaction, it will be a great year, and the rest is just details.

As for the theme of 2010, I have not yet decided on that either. Nate has proposed "Be A Damn Man". Hmm. Well, I like the idea, but still I'm not crazy about it. I don't feel a personal connection to it, and I think that is something that should be essential when picking a theme.

2009's theme was coined by Clayton: "When In Doubt, Always Drop In". I liked that theme a lot, but I didn't have many moments where I was "in doubt". Still, I think I dropped in when I had the opportunity to do so.

This year, I'm not sure what kind of theme I need. Something about getting what you want. Or maybe figuring out what it is that you want, and then going and getting it. "Warrior Stage", maybe. Or perhaps I could resurrect "Go Big or Go Home". I am going to need to think on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment